Thursday, September 11, 2008

More unanswerable questions from my 6 year old...

As we were driving to Logan's appt. today I had this conversation with Tanner...

Tanner: "Mom, I've noticed that all the American flags on this street are far down the poles. Do the people who own the flags know that the flags are falling down?"

I then proceeded to explain to him what happened 7 years ago on this day, in a kid-friendly way, and told him that we lower the flags in rememberance. I looked at him through my rear view mirror and saw his face turn into utter confusion.

Tanner: "I don't get it, Mom. That doesn't make any sense. Why would people do that?"

How do you answer that? How do you explain to a six year old about terrorists and war. I again tried to explain this to him, the best I knew how (a parent manual would have come in handy at this point).

Tanner: "That kind of makes me sad."

Me: "For the people that died?"

Tanner: "Well, I am sad for them, too, but I was talking about the bad guys. They must have had no happy times in their life or no friends."

I love this kid!

3 comments:

Libby said...

that made my eyes get all watery!

Kaymee said...

what a sweet boy! I don't think you need that manual!!

KACEE said...

TENDER!!!

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers