Friday, October 09, 2009

Today I ran into a friend of mine that I haven't seen in almost a year. She told me she had heard about what had happened with my baby, then quickly apologized for bringing the matter up and changed the subject.

The truth is, she didn't remind me what had happened, in fact, I never forgot. It is on my mind every moment of every day. I actually kind of wanted to talk about my daughter, I appreciate it when others acknowledge that she existed, that she was real.

I received a fantastic book from a friend of mine last week about a women (Grandy) who is grieving over a terrible loss. There is a paragraph in it that I love. It says, "Grandy knew she didn't have to be careful what she said around her friend, Midge. Midge wouldn't try to talk her out of anything she was feeling. And Grandy could even laugh and not worry that Midge would assume Grandy was over her grief." Things are pretty much back to normal around here, but that doesn't mean we still don't have the pain. I am truly lucky to have a few "Midges" in my life right now.

I also have my sister, despite going through her own struggles, who calls me almost daily to make sure I am alright without ever once complaining about her own situation.

I am still working through the grieving process, but find my self extremely distracted and forgetful lately. Things are getting easier, but I still have those moments when it hits me that my baby girl is not with me on this earth. I'm trying to be the same Celeste I was before August 16th, but a part of me is gone and so everything is different.

My cousin lost her baby boy about 6 months ago, when she was pregnant. I ached for her then, and now, even more so as I can maybe understand what she may be experiencing. She has been so great to email me often to check up on me and I am grateful for that. She found this letter that she posted, and I felt it fit my feelings exactly...

My dear Family & Friends,

I have experienced a loss that is devastating to me. It will take time, perhaps years, for me to work through the grief I feel because of this loss. I will cry more than usual for some time. My tears are not a sign of weakness or a lack of hope or faith. They are the symbols of the depth of my loss and the sign that I am recovering. I may become angry without seeming to have a reason for it. My emotions are heightened by the stress of grief. Please be forgiving if I seem irrational at times. I need your understanding and your presence more than anything else. If you don’t know what to say, just touch me or give me a hug to let me know you care. Please don’t wait for me to call you. I am often too tired to even think of reaching out for the help I need. Don’t allow me to withdraw from you. I need you more than ever during the next year. Pray for me only if your prayer is not an order for me to make you feel better. My faith does not excuse me from the grief process. If you have had an experience of loss that seems anything like mine, please share it with me. You will not make me feel worse. This loss is one of the worst things that could happen to me. But I will get through it and I will live again. I will not always feel as I do now. I will laugh again. Thank you for caring about me. Your concern is a gift I treasure.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Celeste:

I can not even imagine the pain you are going through. To be honest with you I did not even know that you were pregnant, the day I was on FB and I saw your post I read your blog about the loss of Elizabeth and I cried the entire time. I was sitting at work and could barley keep my composure. I immediately copied your link and sent it to my mom, I called her and asked her to open her email and read about your loss and how sad I felt for you and your family.

I look at your blog about once or twice a week to see how you are doing, and to find strength in your faith and wish that there was something I could do to help you get thru this. I kiss and hug my beautiful children goodnight each day and I think about what you must be feeling as you do the same. I know that we have not been close since we were children but I feel this sense of gravity towards you now more than ever.

I just wanted to let you know that you are an amazing lady, you always have been. You are blessed with beautiful children and I hope that one day you will find peace within your heart and know that one day you will be able to hold Elizabeth in your arms again.

I admire the strength you have in not being angry at the Lord, I'm not so sure I would feel the same. In fact its still hard for me to understand some of the things we have to endure.

I just felt I needed to tell you that. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Always,
Kim (Kilrain) Hardin

The White Clan said...

Hey! I just have to tell you that there isn't a week that goes by that I don't think of you. Your strength and testimony are inspiring. I am so glad you are doing okay and I pray for the spirit to be with you as you continue on this journey.

Perry Family said...

Celeste, I'm still so sad for you. I went through a miscarriage in June and it wasn't easy (and when I hear of other women who have gone through the same thing, or stories, I still feel all those things I felt back in June). I'm glad to hear you are doing better, but I know that it will always stay with you. Thanks for all you share on your blog.

mama donk aubri jo said...

Celeste, you are still in my prayers! I can only imagine the haze you live in some days and hope that it lifts more and more each day. I love that you are so open with how you are feeling. It is sometimes difficult to know how to act towards others who experience such great loss without causing additional pain. I think you have stated beautifully that not only does your loss need to be acknowledged, but that talking about it actually helps and not hurts. I hope that I can be a better friend to anyone who has any such loss and be their "Midge" for I know I haven't always been so. You are amazing and so so strong and I know you will hold your baby girl Elizabeth in your arms someday and that moment will be one of the sweetest.

Sara said...

Hi, this is Sara Storms (Kim Peterson Matthews sister).

I just wanted to say, that I agree with you. After my son Nicholas was stillborn, a lot of friends and classmates (I was in college) didn't know what to say or how to act. I wanted to talk about my son. Share my story and what a miracle my son was. He only needed to come to Earth for a body, and I was blessed and humbled to be chosen as his mother. To be honest, it seemed to make some people uncomfortable. Especially since I usually got emotional talking about him. (Most of my friends and classmates I had known for less than a year.) I had some "Midges" in my life and I still do. And that is such a wonderful thing to have! Nicholas is my son whether or not he is alive. And, although he was stillborn 7 1/2 years ago, I still miss him and look forward to that day that I will see him again!

That letter your cousin wrote is beautiful! I couldn't have said it better in my own words! I wish that when I went through the loss of my son, that I could have put it into words like she did! Thank you for sharing it!

Angela said...

Celeste,
My dear friend, I am so grateful to have you in my life...thank you for stating things just perfectly...and your cousin...what wonderful words...I can't wait to meet Elizabeth someday...

Thinking of you today,
Angela

kimbo said...

Celeste: You continue to be in my thoughts and prayers. I have another really good friend who lost her 22 month old son in a tragic accident about 3 years ago. She often blogs about her feelings and progress (http://krainichfamily.blogspot.com/). I'm glad we get to hear how you and others who are grieving are feeling. It gives me such a great understanding of the Lord's plan. Thank you for sharing.

Love,
Kim

Michelle said...

Hi, you don't know me but I am Emily Andrus's friend from high school. She sent me the link to your blog because we just lost our little boy at 17 weeks about a month ago. I love this post. Especially about wanting to talk about them. Especially since mine was in the 2nd trimester, people pretend it didn't happen. It was very real to me and I want to talk about him so that he is remembered. It's so good to know others feel the same. Anyway, thanks for your words. I wish we weren't dealing with this, but it is nice to know you aren't alone.
Michelle Weymouth

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers