Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Our sweet Elizabeth...


I did not think I would be posting this so quickly after announcing our pregnancy, but this past weekend, we lost our baby girl.

We have been in Virginia for about a week for a Cragun family reunion. On Wednesday, we traveled to DC to attend Jake's brother's wedding. That was the last time I remember her moving in my belly. As we walked around sight seeing that next day, I tried to feel something from her, anything...but told myself she was fine and that is was just my paranoia. That Friday morning I did a session at the DC temple and started to feel more uneasy. I didn't say anything to my husband and proceeded on with the wedding plans for the day. My brother-in-law's wedding was that evening and when I got back to the hotel, I knew that she was gone. I still could not tell my husband of my surety, and tried to hold my composure as I expressed my concern to him, but was emotionally not alright. He tried to comfort me and tell me that everything is fine--as usually everything is in these situations. I stayed awake literally the entire night rolling back and forth pressing on my stomach, trying to get some movement for her. My stomach felt squishy instead of firm like normal.

Jake woke up that next morning and said that he knew something was wrong by the look he saw on my face. He went to his parent's hotel room and discussed the matter with them. Jake's dad has a brother who is an OB, and he suggested we go to the ER and get a stress test on the baby. I received a blessing from Jake and his dad before leaving. Jake said that he wanted to be able to say that our baby girl would be fine, but as he began to say those words, he was forced to stop and change his sentence. He instead blessed me strength and comfort. In fact he said those words several times throughout the blessing. When the blessing was finished he looked at me with tears in his eyes and I think he also knew what we were about to hear at the hospital.

The ER got us right in. The hooked me up to a fetal monitor, but no heartbeat was heard. The nurses and doctor were trying to be hopeful and kept saying things like, "Wait, I think I hear something." and "Maybe our machine is broken." But I knew. We then proceeded to the ultrasound room where we heard the devastating news out loud, "I am sorry Mr. and Mrs. Cragun, there is no fluid surrounding the baby and no heartbeat detected." As the nurse left the room, I lost it. I felt immense pressure on my chest and had difficulty breathing. I couldn't lay still and wanted to get out of that hospital as quickly as I could. My entire body ached as I knew that the life inside me had died.

My in laws were on their way to Pittsburgh for the wedding reception when they immediately turned around and came back to be with us. We all drove back to Virginia that night to prepare for the delivery that next morning.

Sunday morning was rough. I awoke around 6 am but could not get out of bed until around 9:30. I knew that today was the day that I would lose a part of me. My father-in-law is the chief of medicine at the hospital in Roanoke, so we were able to get right in and immediately begin prepping for the c-section. It was recommended to me by several doctors that a c-section would be best-even though the baby was small-because I've had three previous c-sections.
Part of me wanted to get all of this over with, while a bigger part wanted her to stay right where she was. I requested that they use general anesthesia (which would put me all the way out) instead of a spinal, because i just didn't think I'd have the strength to be awake when they removed her...I knew I would hear silence instead of a newborn cry and my heart wouldn't be able to take it.

We wanted to officially name her before I went in to surgery. I had been debating between Jaida and Mia for the past 3 months, but neither one of those names seemed to fit. Elizabeth came to mind and I knew that was it, it sounded angelic to me.

Elizabeth was delivered around 4:50 pm. She was 2 lbs. 2 oz. and was 15 inches long. I woke up about an hour a half later and she was the first thing I saw. She was dressed in a beautiful pink dress and wrapped in a pink crochet blanket that I had chosen before being wheeled into the O.R. She looked peaceful and calm. She had a little bit of each of my boys in her face. She had Logan's nose, Chase's mouth and Tanner's long fingers and toes.

I was able to spend about 3 hours of alone time with Elizabeth. I sang songs to her, talked with her and prayed with her. I told her over and over again how sorry I was that I could not keep her safe. I hated my body for not being able to protect her enough for her to come to this beautiful earth. I knew without a doubt that she was listening to every word that I was saying. I said one final prayer before I said my final good-bye. I felt immense comfort and peace during this time. As I spoke words to my Heavenly Father, I truly felt Him weep with me. I knew that He was hurting as much as I was. I never blamed the Lord or became angry and always knew that he was a kind God, but to actually feel Him cry as I cried was an experience I will always remember. As most people turn away from the Lord with an experience like this, I have never felt closer.

We are having a small burial service for Elizabeth this week, here in Virginia since this is where she died. My sweet sister in laws and mother in law got her a beautiful blessing gown for her to be buried in and Jake found a beautiful pink and white blanket with an angel embroidered on it.

The hardest part has been telling our two oldest boys. Before we went to have her delivered we prepped the boys by telling them that Baby Sister was sick and we were going to the hospital to see the doctors. Tanner asked, "If she gets too sick will she have to go back to Heaven? That would be okay because I kind of want another brother so there won't be barbie dolls around the house." Jake came home the night of the surgery and took Tanner outside to tell him what had happened. As he explained to Tanner that she indeed, had to go back to Heaven he broke down. He felt bad for saying what he had said earlier and told Jake, "I really did want a baby sister, Dad, I really did." They just held each other and cried. He also said, "I bet I know what happened. Mom has been telling us that we need to have better manners because a sister was coming, and we haven't done that yet. Maybe Elizabeth didn't want to see that."

Logan asked me tonight where "sister" was because he noticed my belly was smaller. He loved this baby. Every time he walked past me the last few months he would brush my tummy and casually say, "Hi baby." Sometimes he would share food with me and tell me that it was for sister or he'd accidentally bump into my belly and say, "Oh, sorry baby." He talked about her more than any of us did. So, we took him in a room and tried to explain what had happened. It was more difficult since he doesn't have the language capacity yet to fully understand. We told him that sister got really sick and had to go live back with Jesus. He looked at my belly and hugged Jake tight. Jake and I both sobbed as we saw how much Logan really understood.

I have been recovering much faster with this c-section than my other three, I know that this is a blessing to better help me cope and get through my grief.

My husband has really been my rock this past week. The trials that we have been given through our children have made him a gentler, yet stronger man for me and my sons. We have cried together, prayed together and sometimes just held each other. He said last night, "I guess Heavenly Father thought we needed an angel to watch over us and now we have one." Tomorrow is our anniversary, Happy 9 years, Honey...I love you!

I will be staying here in Virginia for about another week and a half and Jake will leave next week to get back to work. I am dreading going back home to be reminded of the little girl that we left in Virginia. We had just began to prepare for her before we left on our vacation and seeing her little onesies or cute pink socks may bring this to a reality again.

We appreciate all of your well wishes and how you have cried with us. Please don't be offended if we don't call you back, it has been difficult to talk about our loss, as it has only been a few days. We are truly lucky to be loved by such great friends and family.

67 comments:

The DeVito's said...

I'm sitting here in tears for your pain. I'm so sorry for your loss. I know nothing I say can make it better, just know that we are thinking of you and love you.

Kristi said...

I am truly so sorry for your loss, and I'm sitting here crying with you. Your family will be in my prayers.

The Kay Family said...

Ohhhh, Celeste. I am so so sorry for your loss. Your family will be in my thoughts and prayers. May you all find peace soon.

betsey said...

Oh Celeste, thank you so much for sharing. I'm sitting here crying and my heart is just breaking for your little family. You are in our prayers and thoughts. I know the Lord will continue you strengthen and comfort you during this trial. All our love and prayers

Kathy said...

Celeste and Jake, my heart is aching for you. Please know you are in our thoughts and prayers; we pray you will continue to feel peace and strength and know that the Lord is carrying you through this. I am so sorry for your loss.

Stephanie said...

We love you and our Heavenly Father loves you! We'll talk again!

Perry Family said...

I am so sorry to hear about losing your sweet little Elizabeth. I think as a mother, that is the hardest thing of all. I hope you will continue to feel much peace and comfort as you recover. My love and prayers~ Stacy

The White Clan said...

I full of so many emotions right now. I am so heartbroken over your loss, I feel so much peace over your strength, and I am so sad that you had to experience this in your life.
Chris and I are so sorry for your loos, and we are thinking and praying for you.

Kaymee said...

Celeste, I am sooo sad and heart broken for you and your loss. I pray for your continued strength.

mama donk aubri jo said...

Celeste, I am so truly sorry for your loss, I am still sobbing. It is evident you are strong and close to our Heavenly Father and for that, I know you will survive this. My prayers are with you and your family.

J.Frey said...

I am so sorry and heartbroken for you loss! Your sweet family is in my prayers. Thank you for sharing your story. I'm sure it wasn't easy for you.

Staci Leach said...

Celeste, I'm so heartbroken for you and your Family. You have had so many trials and have come through them all with strength. I'm so sorry doesn't convey my sadness. I sat and cried as I read your post. You are a wonderful mother and Heavenly Father loves you, I wish there was Something I could do or say to help, but I know that only prayers at this point will help. Take care!

Ashlee said...

We love your sweet little family. I am so heartbroken for your loss and wish there was something I could do. Thank you for sharing your faith and strength with us all. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

The Bode Family said...

I am so sorry to hear this. Once again, I am in awe of your grace and beauty in all you do as a mother. You truly are one of the most remarkable people I have ever heard of, I only wish I knew you better. My prayers and thoughts are with you all. I hope peace will be with you and all your boys. With love,
Melissa (Johnson) Bode

Jacy said...

I haven't cried so much in a long time as I have over this post. My heart is breaking for you, and I truly appreciate your willingness to share your story and the tender pictures of little Elizabeth. You are a true example of motherhood at its finest. You and your family will certainly be in our thoughts and prayers.

Ryan and Emily said...

Ryan Plewe told Ryan yesterday what happened and I didn't want to believe it was true. I've been checking your blog to see if you would post something about it. I can't even imagine what you are going through right now! I'm so glad you have the love and support of your sweet husband, family, and of course Heavenly Father. You guys have seriously been dealt some major trials but have always been such wonderful examples of faith in the Lord and enduring trials well. I wish I could give you a big hug. I am so sorry for your loss. You guys are in our prayers.

Leah said...

You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers.

Emily Andrus said...

You have so much spiritual clarity Celeste. I'm so happy you have felt the Comforter and know of Heavenly Father's love for you and your sweet family. My heart is breaking for you guys truly. Please know that you can lean on us and that we are here for you.
How special to share those tender moments with your baby. I know she will be watching over her family always!

Mrs. Budge said...

Celeste I just wish I could be there to give you a hug! I feel so heart broken for you. But isn't the knowledge of the plan of salvation just so comforting at this time. I'm thinking of you and wishing you all the best. Here are my hugs and kisses for you. xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

tawni said...

I'm so sorry Celeste. I hope you know we love you guys and admire you so. You are in our thoughts and prayers during this difficult time. I'm so sorry. I wish I could take away your pain. It brings back a lot of memories of my miscarriage. It is such a difficult thing to go through and so unfair. I just can't wait to hold them in our arms when we see them on the other side. Our thoughts are with you. xoxo

Lisa said...

What a sweet and touching post about your little Elizabeth. My heart just broke for you and your family when we heard the news. You all have been in our thoughts and prayers. If there is anything at all I can do to help you through this, just know that I am here.

brandi lafreniere said...

I am truly so very sorry. I will be thinking about you. my deepest sympathy....

Becki Blackner said...

Jake, Celeste and family,
We are so sorry to hear the very sad news. You are being prayed for and thought about so much. May you continue to feel the comforter and may our Heavenly Father be near to bless each of you through this difficult time. Elizabeth will always be part of your forever family and a sweet little angel looking down upon all of you. So hard to find any words to say, just sending love your way.
Chris, Becki and family

Joe Lowry said...

Our thoughts and prayers are with you. This was a beautiful post, and if we can provide any help, please let us know.

skcoe said...

As I sit here with tears streaming down my face I'm comforted to know that your sweet little family understands they will see this beautiful little girl again and be able to raise her like you so badly wanted to here on earth. You are in my thoughts and I only hope the best for you in the months to come.

I'm so happy you have wonderful little boys to fill your arms during this difficult time.

carly said...

celeste,
i am so sorry that you and your family are having to go through this! i cannot imagine. we will definitely be praying for all of you!
love
carly

Libby said...

celeste you are amazing. your loss combined with your strength has truly left me speachless and in tears. i can't even imagine the pain and sorrow that you are feeling right now. the gospel is so powerful and am so grateful you have that to pull you through this as well as an incredible family. our prayers and thoughts are with you!

Jek said...

Celeste,
I am heartbroken for everyone of you. We will be praying for you. hang in there. I am just truly sorry you are going through this. What a beautiful name for a little angel.

Zobrist Family said...

Oh Celeste! I'm so sad. My prayers and thoughts are with you. My heart is seriously broken!

Tori said...

Celeste, I'm so sorry. Tears are streaming down my face. We'll be thinking of you all, too...

Karolyn said...

I am so so sorry for your loss. You have so much faith. You are a remarkable person and such a good example to me. You will be in our thoughts and prayers.

Anonymous said...

My heart just breaks for you. May God continue to bless your sweet family with strength. Know you have lots of prayers coming your way.

Unknown said...

So beautifully written... Celeste, I cried...
My heart goes out to you.

Dawn Sims said...

Gosh I am so sorry I am. I know how much you and your family were looking forward to her arrival. It completely breaks my heart that you guys have had to go through this. Our prayers are with you all. Please let us know if there is anything we can do once you get back.

Roadrunner said...

Much love to you all. My prayers are with you. I wish I could do more.

terica said...

Oh my goodness Celeste, I cannot even begin to put words together to tell you how very sorry I am for you and your family. I just cannot even imagine. You truly amaze me with your attitude and your beautiful words. You are amazing as well as your sweet boys and great husband. We will be praying for you all.

Jen H. said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your sweet Elizabeth. My heart has been touched by your sweet good-byes and your precious last moments with her. I believe the Lord only takes the elect and chosen. I have no doubt that your sweet Elizabeth will preform miracles on the other side. You guys are amazingly strong! I wish I could give you a big hug. Know that we are thinking and praying for you and your family! Lots of LOVE!

JAC said...

So so sorry, Celeste. We're crying and praying for you here. All best,
John and Karolyn.

Bryn Stucki said...

I could not stop crying as I read your post. My heart just breaks for you. I have always admired your strength and your optimism and now I am just in awe. Grant and I love your family so much and will be praying for you. I admire so much your faith in the savior, in the end he will make it right.

Ilia True said...

I am so sorry for your loss. I think how special she is to just come here to gain a body, and then return to HF so soon. I cried too reading your post, as all us mothers are praying for you, have strength. Love to you.

Christy said...

Celeste,
I can't imagine anything more devastating. I am sending love and prayers your way.

Heidi said...

Sweet Cragun's, you are in our thoughts and prayers. We are so, so sorry for your loss. We're thinking of you. xoxo The Clayton Family

The John Hollingshaus Family said...

I love you Celeste!

Love,

Carrie Dixon Hollingshaus

Tiffany C. said...

You're such a strong family. We're so sorry for your loss. Your family is in our thoughts and prayers. God bless!

Jared said...

We love you guys and are deeply saddend by the news and yet lifted by your strength and faith. May God continue to comfort you.

Mandy said...

Celeste - that was beautiful. You are amazing. My heart aches and I am weeping with you too. Hold on to that peace and comfort you felt. And know that you are in our thoughts and prayers. Bart and I talked about how strong and amazing you guys are...you are truly being prepared for greatness. Thank you for your example. We love you.

Laurel said...

What a beautiful narration, Celeste. Your family is in our thoughts and prayers. We know the Lord is with you more than ever during this challenging time. We love you and are inspired by your strength.
xo
laurel and ryan

Anonymous said...

my heart aches, and the tears can't stop flowing! You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers!!

Kylee and Dustin said...

Celeste, I cried and cried. I don't know how the Lord can give people strength to endure such trials but I am so glad He was there for you and your family. Thank you for your faith and testimony. We are thinking of you and praying for you.
With Love
Kylee

The Brights said...

Prayers for you and your boys.

Thank you for sharing those precious photos.

My heart is breaking for you all.

steve said...

Very sorry to hear this. Touching post.

Angela said...

Celeste,

My heart is aching for you...Tears stream down my face as your post reminds me of the days I could not breathe...it is so hard, but the heavens are somehow open for us grieving moms and dads. Elizabeth will whisper words of love to you...I am reminded of your words to me...that I was one of the strong ones...YOU, Celeste are one of the strong ones...I am so grateful to have you as a friend...Now your Elizabeth and our Evan can watch over us together...as we cry, laugh, and become stronger through God's love.
My prayers are with you. Please give a hug from us to your boys. We will see you soon.
Love,
Angela

Kim said...

oh Celeste...
life can seem so unfair...so unbalanced...how can some people have no problems and others never stop with the trials...
Celete you and Jake are a chosen family. It is obvious by the trials you have previously had. You are amazing people with an amazing faith and amazing strength. This is the stuff that makes or breaks you and oh Celeste, it has made you, as Jake said, you are the strongest and bravest woman. You are an amazing Mom. Your perfect angel only needed such a short time. Now she is waiting for you.
I have never had to deal with this sort of greif, but my little sister lost her first born, over 7 years ago, in a very simialr way. I don't know if it makes things any easier to talk to others who have dealt with it before, but if you would ever like to talk with her, she too is an amazing woman.
Celete and Jake, stay strong. You will always feel her near. She is your sweet angel who will always watch over you.
Your so blessed to have sweet boys with such tender hearts. I am sorry too that they have to deal with this loss, but with you guys as their rock, they will be fine. You will all be fine. We love you and you will definately be in our prayers.

LesLie said...

i am truly saddened and sorry for your family's loss. i pray that you and your family may find peace and comfort to be with you all through this hard time. our thoughts and prayers are with u.
love, the neilson family

Sara said...

Hi. You don't know me. Kim Peterson Matthews is my sister. I am the sister that she is talking about.

I am so sorry to hear about Elizabeth leaving your earthly family so soon. What a blessing that she is part of your eternal family!!!

My husband and I lost our first baby. It was sudden and unexpected. We named him Nicholas. I was about 33 weeks pregnant, when we had learned that he had died inside of me and labor was induced. We were devastated and heartbroken. But, we always felt the love of the Lord!

Reading your story brings all of my emotions straight to the surface and I can remember EXACTLY how I felt when I held my baby boy in my arms. I was never angry with God. It was a hard time in our lives, absolutely, but we never doubted that Heavenly Father loves us and that Jesus wept with us and felt our pain!!!

I know that it is hard to talk about without crying! I still cry from time to time when I tell my story about my angel baby, Nicholas, and it has been 7 years since he was stillborn. And you may not feel like talking about it to a stranger. But, please!! If you ever want to talk, please contact me! My email is sara_storms@hotmail.com. If you are interested I can give you my phone number, too.

I did and still take great comfort in my testimony! When Nicholas died, I never doubted that I WOULD see him again! I know that he is part of my eternal family! I know that he fulfilled his mission on this earth and he returned to our loving Heavenly Father to do work on the other side.

I know that you are probably not thinking about this at all right now and I hope you don't think I am being insensitive. But, something my family likes to do to celebrate Nicholas as part of our family is writing notes to him on his birthday, attaching them to balloons and sending them up into the sky. This may be something you can do with your children right now. I don't know their ages, but it might be something really special if they could write a note to Elizabeth and send it to her.

The Black Widow said...

Celeste, I can only echo the words of your husband, you are such a brave woman. Words seem somewhat empty here, but I am so deeply sorry for your loss. You and your family are in my prayers.

Sandy said...

Oh Celeste, I am so sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing your story it has touched me deeply. You are a strong woman. My prayers are with you and your family.

Rebecca Parker said...

Jake, Celeste & boys,
My sister heard the news first & directed me to your blog:( Not sure what to say that hasn't already been expressed in nearly 60 comments ahead of me...what precious pics & time with your sweet baby girl! having 3 boys myself, i can only imagine how heartwrenching to let her go too soon (would've been regardless of gender, but you know what i mean). Went to a funeral for some other friends who had very similar sit last May...never a good time to lose a child! please know you are in our thoughts & prayers as we admire your faith & composure--you are def allowed to mourn. One of my mom's fav quotes after losing my bro is "To take the sorrow out of death is to take the love out of life!" So glad you can rely on each other's love now as well as that of friends & family across the country & of course, peace from a merciful Heavenly Father who knew you were a stronger momma than I!!

JENNIE! said...

I have been crying and thinking about you since Taya told me. I ran into her that afternoon. i know how excited you must have been to get your little Boyack dancer, and I am so sorry for all the pain you must be going through. I am amazed by your strength, you are an example to us all. Love you!

Jennie

JENNIE! said...

I have been crying and thinking about you since Taya told me. I ran into her that afternoon. i know how excited you must have been to get your little Boyack dancer, and I am so sorry for all the pain you must be going through. I am amazed by your strength, you are an example to us all. Love you!

Jennie

Anonymous said...

You don't know me but I accidentally stumbled on your blog and I feel your pain. After 7 ears of marriage my husband and I miraculously became pregnant. We both work with the youth in our ward and we were in Nauvoo on a temple trip. I to was in a session when I just knew something was wrong. I cried so much in the celestial room with my husband trying to comfort me. When we left he insisted that everything had to be fine so we put our little miracle in the prayer role. It was the weekend and I had a Dr appointment Monday morning so we went home and prayed. Our bishop even gave me a blessing. I woke up early Monday morning covered in blood. I believe that finding out in the temple was the lords way of giving me a hug since he couldn't be physically with me. You are so loved never forget that. Imagine the kind of person you must me to be given the privilege of giving one of the lords most righteous little spirits a body. Your little Elizabeth was so amazing that she didn't need the trials of this earth and she picked you to give her a body you did something for her she couldn't do for her self and I am sure she will thank you herself when she sees you again.

Youngquist Family said...

Celeste and Jake-My heart goes out to you. I'm crying with you as I can't imagine the heartache. Thank you for sharing your feelings through this difficult experience. It's been enlightening and made me more grateful for my loved ones. Although this all seems very unfair, you have risen above the bitterness and have strengthened me by your faith. You are an amazing mother and your boys (all of them) need you. I'm sure your capacity for love has been increased. I pray for you. Love, Jennie and Scott.

Calley said...

I am still crying for your sweet Elizabeth. How much I wish she was in your arms now. I am praying for you and your amazing family. I am so profoundly sorry for your loss.

My little girl, Evie, has bilateral Cochlear Implants. I will be following your sites, and thinking of you.

Your faith in God is so encouraging, your strength is inspiring. I will lift my head high and push forward, no matter what comes my way. Through God, all things are possible! Keep your heart set on Him!

Jean said...

I just found out about this... I am also crying with you. I once read somewhere there are words for those who lost parents or spouses, but not for those who lost their child. I think it's because the pain is so much greater that you can make a word for it. Your faith is truly inspiring and help many others in your situation gain hope and faith. Thank you for sharing this. Don't you ever, ever blame yourself. Take good care of yourself.

April Celeste Garff said...

I'm so sorry! Words cannot really express feelings about your situation, but know that we are thinking of you and crying with you (literally). Heavenly Father must really trust you to give you such trials. I am so amazed at your strength and composure as you post about something so personal and heartbreaking. I know nothing I say can really help, but know that we're keeping you in our prayers.

mckay said...

Celeste,
I was just looking at my list of affiliates and decided to peek in on you...I am so sorry for your loss. My heart aches for you and your family. I will keep you in my prayers.
Love,
Mckay
(from sayitonthewall)

Carolyn said...

Oh Celeste. I was checking up on all my friends blogs and thought I hadn't been over here for a while. I saw Elizabeth's picture you have up on the side with the Savior. I'm so sorry, Celeste! That seems like such a lame thing for me to say, but I don't know what else to say. What a hard hard sorrowful trial. I wish you and your family didn't have to go through that. Much love and prayers from me.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers